Medicaid applications are filed with the County Department of Job and Family Services.  Caseworkers generally know the rules that govern Medicaid but they aren’t there to give advice.  You can attempt to do this yourself or turn to an elder law attorney who will represent your interests and will help you protect your assets including your home.  Frankly, the State would rather you spend all your money towards nursing home care, even if it means leaving you without much to live on.  There are protects in the law for spouses and others that are very complex, but may allow you to keep your home, your car, your income and enough resources to live in the community.

To learn more about Medicaid and asset protection, contact Ohio elder law attorneys of Browning & Meyer Co., LPA.